Bernie likes blueberry muffins, so I am always looking for something different to try out. Blueberries were on sale this week at the grocery, so Sunday he got a treat for breakfast. I was expecting these little cakes to taste like muffins, but they don’t. In fact, we aren’t really sure how to describe them, other than delicious – and very filling. Even though this is just for 2 servings, you could easily cut back on calories by dividing it 3 ways, there is definitely enough batter.
Blueberry Breakfast Cakes, from How Sweet It Is
1/4 cup unsalted butter – room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg 1/3 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup fresh blueberries, tossed in flour
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Combine the following dry ingredients and set aside (whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon).
2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
3. Mix in egg substitute, once combined add in vanilla and greek yogurt.
4. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined, then fold in the blueberries.
5. Divide batter equally between 2 greased ramekins. Bake 30-35 minutes!
Nutrition per serving: 476.2 calories, 23.5g fat, 14.3g saturated fats, 62.6mg cholesterol, 630.9mg sodium, 57.4g carbohydrates, 3.6g fiber, 33g sugar, 10.9g protein.
Meanwhile, while I was cooking Willa was getting into trouble…digging in the yard then getting dirt all over our white carpet.